Green living has become an increasingly popular way to live. Looking after our environment offers huge benefits to ourselves and to the planet. As parents however, we often find that family life is a juggle at the best of times. Adding to our workload by implementing green living rituals can seem daunting. This doesn’t have to be the case though! There are many small changes that you and your family can make, that will impact positively on our environment.
Living a little greener can be fun to do as a family too. Getting the kids into a few environmentally friendly habits early on will set them in good stead for their future. From the transport you use to your home life endeavours, your family can enjoy being eco-friendly together.
How can you live a green life?
- Recycle – recycling in the home doesn’t have to add to your workload. It can be made really simple by spending a little time setting up a few boxes in your kitchen, for items such as cardboard and tins. Once you’ve done this all you have to do is empty the contents of the boxes into the correct outdoor bins. This means you don’t have to spend time sorting your recyclables from your rubbish at the end of the day. Simple!
- Shopping – I know charity shops aren’t for everyone, but it’s amazing what hidden gems you’ll find if you take the time to look. The beauty of these shops is that everything is second hand, so nothing goes to waste. They offer an excellent way to take care of our planet and they reduce the amount of waste we throw away dramatically.
- Transport – there are more cars on the road now than ever before and the fumes they give out have a huge effect on the environment. There are ways we can combat this and using public transport is right at the top of the list. The more we use public transport, the less cars there are on the road to pollute the air we breathe. Using public transport can be great fun for kids too. Taking them on the train can be an adventure and a practical trip all rolled into one! You can also make use of transport services such as Shiply, who pride themselves in offering environmentally friendly services as, well as making your life that little bit easier!
- Energy – wasting energy is an easy thing to do, we leave a light on here or have the shower running too long there. Changing our habits to save this wasted energy is just as easy. If we stay conscious of the little things not only will we be nurturing our environment, we might just save ourselves a bit of cash too! Using renewable energy sources, such as solar panels on your home, can also be a great way to help the environment.
- Reusable nappies and cutting down on wipes – often when people think of reusable nappies they think of the extra work they cause the new mother. In this day and age this isn’t the case, reusable nappies can be thrown into the washer and dried with very little effort. Their use reduces the huge amount of disposable nappies that are left to rot in landfill sites on a daily basis. Reducing the amount of baby wipes can help in this department too. I know it would be difficult to stop using them all together, but cutting down on the quantity you use can be a great and easy way to live green!
*This is a collaborative post.